Dental Implants are among the most popular options for full tooth replacement. They have many advantages over traditional dentures. This article will explain some of the features and benefits of having a dental implant. First, let’s examine what exactly a dental implant is.
What is a Dental Implant?Dental implants are, to put it simply, an artificial tooth, similar in shape to a small screw. The implants are placed in the jawbone where they bond with the bone. This leads to a sturdy and stable base that supports one or more artificial teeth, called crowns. This also meant that unlike traditional dentures, dental implants help preserve the bone and so preserve your natural face shape. An abutment is placed on top of the implant. This is a connector between the implant and the crown. This is here to hold and support the crown. The crowns are then custom made to match your natural teeth and fit your mouth. Modern implants have a long 30 year history of success, and they are the strongest device to support replacement teeth. What makes them even more spectacular is that they allow these new teeth to feel, look and function naturally. The dental implant surgery is one of the most safe and predictable procedures in dentistry when performed by a trained and experienced dental implant dentist.
The Process of Getting a Dental ImplantGetting a dental implant begins by a consultation with your dentist. They assess if you have enough bone in your jaw to support the implant. Sometimes a bone graft is needed in order to allow for a strong base of support for the implant. This process may take a number of months of healing and recovery, but once complete, the dentist will generally perform the surgery in one or two sittings, beginning with placing the implant. Then, after some time as passed to allow for some healing, the crown is fitted. The healing process can be lengthy and while it may require some months of discomfort, you are effectively getting your tooth back. Isn’t getting your natural smile restored worth some discomfort?
Top Five Facts about Dental Implants:
- Dental implants have been used for over a thousand years, with the earliest archaeological record being a tooth-like piece of shell that had been hammered into the jaw of a Mayan woman. Luckily, dental implants have come a long way since then.
- Dental implants are the only type of dental restoration that actually preserves the natural bone of your jaw! And, it even stimulates bone growth
- In 1951, the AAID – American Academy of Implant Dentistry was founded by a group of dentists who were very successful at placing dental implants. Their mission was to share their knowledge and practice of implantology. The AAID is the first professional organization dedicated to advancing implant dentistry
- Not long after the founding of the AAID, in 1952, a Swedish orthopedic surgeon, named P.I. Branemark found that titanium actually fuses with bone, leading to its adoption as the go-to metal for metals from knee and hip replacements to dental implants
- An amazing 3 million people in the United States have implants and that number grows each year by about 500,000.